In 2017, the 65th Montana Legislature passed Senate Bill 315, which was signed into law by Governor Bullock and established a Libby Asbestos Superfund Advisory Team attached to DEQ for administrative purposes. The Advisory Team was created to enhance communication with stakeholders. In addition, the Advisory Team advises DEQ on administration of the Libby Asbestos Cleanup Trust Fund and operation and maintenance accounts. The bill also established a full-time employee as the Libby Asbestos Superfund Liaison who will perform duties recommended by the team and facilitate the required quarterly Advisory Team meetings.
Libby Asbestos Superfund Oversight Committee
- Chairman Lincoln County Commissioner, Mark Peck: (406) 283-2317, email@example.com
- Director of the Department of Environmental Quality, Shaun McGrath: (406) 444-2544, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Citizen of Lincoln County, George Jamison: (406) 293-8567, email@example.com
- One member of the Montana House of Representatives, Rep. Steve Gunderson: (406) 334-4370, firstname.lastname@example.org
- One member of the Montana Senate, Sen. Mike Cuffe: (406) 293-1247 or (406) 889-5777, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject to appropriation by the Legislature, money deposited in a state special revenue account must be used to fund cleanup and long-term operation and maintenance costs at the Libby Asbestos Superfund Site, and administrative costs of the Advisory Team and Libby Asbestos Superfund Liaison.