Montana Department of Environmental Quality About Us Permitting & Operator Assistance Public Participation

Motor Vehicle Wrecking & Disposal

Junk Vehicle Program

Montana was one of the leading states to enact junk vehicle legislation. Its primary purpose is to control junk vehicles from being scattered throughout the countryside, thereby helping to preserve the beauty of our state. This program also provides for the recycling of the junk vehicles collected so that this valuable resource may be utilized again. This program is paid for from the small fee you are assessed when you license your vehicle. The benefits of this program are available to all Montanans and you are encouraged to use them.

Click here (pending) for a presentation of hazardous waste and used oil management requirements in Montana.

NEW:  In November 2019, the Montana Department of Environmental Quality's (DEQ) amended ARM 17.50.213 and 17.50.216 pertaining to motor vehicle recycling and disposal.

  • ARM 17.50.216 has been adopted exactly as proposed.
  • ARM 17.50.213 has been amended to increase the $100 reimbursement rate for tow truck operators removing abandoned vehicles from the proposed $115 to $125 per vehicle removed in response to public comments. 

To see the rule notice, view archived rule notices on DEQ's Laws and Regulations webpage at:  or contact DEQ's Solid Waste Program at (406) 444-5300.


Montana Department of Environmental Quality’s Junk Vehicle Program is pleased to release a draft proposal for the revision of the Administrative Rules. Utilizing input from Stakeholders, the tank Stakeholder meetings, and reflecting on updated “best practices” since the last revision in 2019, the proposed package serves to bring the rules in line with the needs of today.

An electronic copy of the draft proposal will be available on the JV webpage and provided electronically upon request. A link to the draft proposal is here:


Please note that the meeting and our request for input are informal processes to obtain the comments of interested parties on the proposed revision.  A formal rulemaking process under the Montana Administrative Procedure Act, including a public hearing and the opportunity for public comment on the final proposed rules, will occur in 2024, an adoption date is tentatively planned for July 2024.

The informal Stakeholder meeting will be held virtually on February 14, 2024, from 1 pm to 2 pm by Zoom. The proposed rules will be discussed to facilitate focused input based on Stakeholder interest.

Zoom February 14, 2024, information:

Please click the link below to join the webinar:

Passcode: 499501


Or Telephone:

    +1 206 337 9723 US (Seattle)


Webinar ID: 846 2267 3831

Passcode: 499501


The draft document consists of three main parts; items proposed for removal have been “struck through” (struck through), new language being proposed has been “underlined” (underlined), and a reason statement has been inserted following each section of the ARM to provide insight into the perceived need. The proposed revision information is highlighted in yellow for your convenience.

Your input during this stage is crucial before the formal rulemaking process is started. During the informal stage, please direct all comments (in written form) to the Waste Management Bureau Rule Expert at where they will be compiled and evaluated by the rulemaking team. DEQ will not be providing written responses in this informal stage. Comments should cite the location being referenced ie. 17.56.1304(1), and if possible, provide a suggestion on rewording or reformulating the concept if not proposing a complete removal. To facilitate the process, please provide any informal comments by March 01, 2024, close of business.

The department believes the package represents an implementable set of rules for both program staff and industry. We look forward to your comments.

Link to Draft Rules 17.50.213

Quck look at the rule 

To sign up for the interested parties list please click the link below.

Duties and Responsibilities

  • Review and license motor wrecking facilities and junk vehicle graveyards;
  • Conduct inspections at motor vehicle wrecking facilities and junk vehicle graveyards and provide technical assistance to assure compliance;
  • Oversee county junk vehicle collection programs and administer a grant to fund the activities of the county programs;
  • Provide training and assistance for county junk vehicle program directors.

Motor Vehicle Wrecking & Disposal Contacts

Junk Vehicles

Solid Waste Section Supervisor
Fredrick, Collins (406) 444-9879
Material Management Specialist 
Brady Christensen  (406) 444-3048

Data Control Technician
Andrea Staley   (406) 444-3493

1.  Types of Activities Regulated

An annual license from the Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) is required to operate a motor vehicle wrecking facility. Possession at a single location of four or more junk vehicles is prima facie evidence that the possessor is operating a motor vehicle wrecking facility.  One or more junk vehicles at a single location must be shielded from public view.

2.  Application Requirements

An annual license to operate or maintain a motor vehicle  wrecking facility or a  local  governmental junk vehicle program can be obtained from the DEQ, and must  include certification from the appropriate local government officials that the proposed facility  does not violate local  zoning ordinances.  The license expires on  December 31 of the year issued.

3. Permitting Procedure

4.  Fees

The DEQ requires an annual fee of $100 for a wrecking facility license.

5.   Additional Information

A motor vehicle wrecking facility must keep a record of every junk vehicle obtained, and must mail a quarterly report to the Montana  Department of Justice, Motor Vehicle Division with the required information.

Motor Vehicle Wrecking Facility Application                  Change of Ownership Application

Q: What is the Montana Junk Vehicle Law?

A: In 1973 the Montana Motor Vehicle Recycling and Disposal Act was enacted for the establishment, control, operation, and licensing of public and private motor vehicle wrecking facilities. This law requires commercial and county motor vehicle storage and wrecking yards to obtain an annual license, keep pertinent records and shield their junk vehicles from public view. This law also requires the control of junk vehicles in your yard, alley, etc.

Q: What is a "Junk Vehicle"?

A: A junk vehicle is defined as any "discarded, ruined, wrecked, or dismantled motor vehicle, including component parts, which is not lawfully and validly licensed, and remains inoperative or incapable of being driven." A vehicle must meet all three parts of the definition to be classified as a junk vehicle.

Q: If I only have one junk vehicle do I need to shield it?

A: Yes, all junk vehicles regardless of number must be shielded from public view.

Q: What is "Public View"?

A: Public view is defined as "any point 6 feet above the surface of the center of a public road from which a junk vehicle can be seen." A public road is any publicly owned or maintained highway, street, road or alley or privately owned road open for public access.

Q: Do I have to shield my vehicles if I’m not in the commercial motor vehicle wrecking business?

A: Yes, all vehicles that meet the three-part definition of a junk vehicle must be shielded from public view.

Q: How can I shield my junk vehicles from public view?

A: You can move the vehicle to a location that will shield it, such as into a garage or behind a solid fence, hill or building. You may also construct shielding using permanent fencing materials. Certain construction specifications are required for proper shielding. If you intend to shield your vehicles, contact your County Junk Vehicle Program prior to construction. Placing tarps or plastics over the vehicles is not acceptable shielding.

Q: Can I do anything else other than removing or shielding the vehicle?

A: Yes, you may repair the vehicle to make it operable, or license it. Either action will remove the vehicle from the classification of a junk vehicle.

Q: What if I no longer want to keep the vehicle?

A: If the vehicle has value from its parts, contact a licensed private motor vehicle wrecking facility. Most commercial wrecking facilities will buy vehicles that have marketable parts. If the vehicle’s value is low, they may haul it away free in exchange for its parts. Some vehicles have little or no parts value and the private wrecking facility my not be interested in hauling it. If this is the case, contact your local County Junk Vehicle Program. They will arrange to haul and dispose of your junk vehicle at no charge to you.

Q: Do I need to shield such items as engines, transmissions and fenders?

A: Yes, any component part of a vehicle must also be shielded.

Q: How can I comply with the law if a junk vehicle has been abandoned on my property?

A: Montana has specific laws regarding the disposition of abandoned vehicles. Contact your local law enforcement agency and request their help in contacting the owner or in obtaining authorization to have the vehicle removed.

Q: What are the penalties if I don’t comply with the junk vehicle law?

A: The junk vehicle statutes provide for criminal penalties of up to $250 and/or 30 days in jail. Civil penalties of up to $50 for each day of violation may also be imposed.

Q: Do I need to obtain a motor vehicle wrecking facility license for my own junk vehicles?

A: If you have four or more junk vehicles at any one location or if you buy, sell or deal in secondhand motor vehicle parts you may need  to obtain a license.

Q: If I have more than four junk vehicles and decide I want to start dealing in used parts who do I contact for licensing information?

A: Information on the requirements for obtaining a Montana motor vehicle wrecking facility license can be obtained from: your County Junk Vehicle Director; your County Sanitarian; or:

Department of Environmental Quality Phone: 444-5300
Waste Management & Remediation Division Fax: 444-1374
Junk Vehicle Program
PO Box 200901 
Helena MT 59620-0901

Email: Brady Christensen