The goal of the Montana Underground Storage Tank (UST) Leak Prevention Program is to protect human health and the environment by preventing releases of petroleum and hazardous substances from UST systems. The release of these regulated products into the environment threatens groundwater resources and can cause explosive vapors to seep into confined spaces and occupied dwellings.
The objectives of the UST Leak Prevention Program are to ensure that:
- UST systems are properly constructed and designed using recognized industry standards;
- Installations, repairs and removals are conducted and inspected by qualified, trained and licensed individuals;
- Active USTs are properly operated and monitored for releases;
- Upon closure, USTs are properly decommissioned and sites assessed for contamination.
- Montana Underground Storage Tank Rules brochure - This brochure highlights the rule changes adopted by UST in October 2018 with many of the rules becoming effective October 2021. The brochure covers changes (walkthrough inspections, fuel compatibility, release detection requirements, out-of-tank detection, testing requirements, and major provisions adopted by Montana UST Program) that will need to be implemented at your facility, along with leak reporting and resources and forms links and information.
- UST Monthly and Annual Walkthrough Inspection Form - Final. Starting in October 2021, owner or operators will be required to do monthly and annual walkthrough inspections of their underground storage tank systems to make sure your equipment is working properly and catch problems early. The form showing you what you will be required to inspect is now available. The form is now finalized, so you can start doing your inspections. This inspection is required by the EPA rule revision of 2015.
New: Are you having trouble logging into TankHelper II? Please click here for instructions
Owner Change Forms:
- State rule requires owners of UST facilities to inform DEQ of any changes to their facility (e.g., new facility name, change of owner, inactivation of tanks, financial responsibility, etc) within 30 days of the change.
- Forms for this purpose are located at http://deq.mt.gov/Land/ust/forms.
Annual Licensee Training & License Renewal
To view training materials and the training click here Montana DEQ Training Page
To pay your license invoice click here
Check out the new forms that we have added to our Licensee News page!!!
Our most recent License Testing was April 13, 2021 and April 14, 2021 at the DEQ Metcalf Building in Helena, MT. Please contact us by email DEQUSTPROGRAM@mt.gov or call the office at (406) 444-5300 if interested in future testing.
To request information regarding an underground storage tank facility, please click HERE
and click Submit Records Request.