Halogenated Solvent Users
Registration Act Summary

Montana has a statute (75-10-451 MCA) that imposes an additional requirement on the handlers of certain solvents.  Those solvents are known as halogenated solvents.  Some common names for those solvents are:  Methylene Chloride, Tetrachloroethylene (aka Perchloroethylene), Trichloroethylene, and various Trichloroethanes

Some common solvents which are not halogenated solvents are:  Acetone, Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol), Methyl Alcohol (Methanol, Methyl Ethyl Ketone), Stoddard Solvent (mineral spirits), and Toluene.

Anyone who sells, buys, or uses more than 20 gallons of halogenated solvent in any year must register with the Montana Department of Environmental Quality.  The no-fee registration may be accomplished by submitting a completed Halogenated Solvent User Registration Form.  A company that has multiple sites is not required to obtain a halogenated solvent user registration number for each site.  Multiple cards for the same registration will be issued upon request.