Lead Based Paint


Need a lead-based paint expert?

Click here for firms certified by EPA to test for or renovate lead-based paint surfaces.

The Environmental Protection Agency’s Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP) requires that firms completing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in schools, childcare facilities, and homes built before 1978 use certified renovators who are trained to follow lead-safe practices. To find a RRP training provider in Montana, click here, and search for Montana. 

This rule recognizes the critical role contractors play in helping to prevent lead exposure. Ordinary renovation and maintenance activities can create dust that contains lead. By following lead-safe work practices, you can prevent lead hazards.

Under the rule, child-occupied facilities are defined as residential, public, or commercial buildings where children under age six are present on a regular basis. The requirements apply to renovation, repair, and painting activities, and generally not to minor maintenance or repair activities in which less than six square feet of lead-based paint in a room or less than 20 square feet of lead-based paint on the exterior of a building is disturbed. However, the rule does include window replacement, demolition, or prohibited practices.

Contractors must use lead-safe work practices and follow these three simple procedures:

  • Contain the work area
  • Minimize dust
  • Clean up thoroughly


To help accelerate the pace of lead-based paint removal from residences — and reduce potential health risks to children and adults from exposure to lead —EPA allows residential lead-based paint waste to be disposed of in construction and demolition landfills, stating that because a construction and demolition landfill accepts no other household waste than residential lead-based paint waste, it is not a municipal solid waste landfill unit.

Read EPA's Regulations on Residential Property Renovation at 40 CFR 745, Subpart E.

The rule affects paid renovators who work in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities, including:

• Renovation contractors
• Maintenance workers in multi-family housing
• Painters and other specialty trades

Individuals can become certified renovators by taking an eight-hour training course from an EPA-approved training provider. Learn how to become an EPA-certified firm and where to take a training course near you.

For Contacts in the EPA Regional Offices, click here.

For additional information visit the Construction Industry Compliance Assistance website.

Don't forget about OSHA lead paint requirements! For more information, please contact OSHA at 406-247-7494 or view their manual on Lead in Construction.

The Montana Department of Labor and Industry's Safety & Health Bureau provides free safety consultation services.  You can reach them at (406) 494-0324 or https://erd.dli.mt.gov/safety-health/

 If you have questions about becoming a Lead-Safe Certified Firm or other environmental concerns, contact:

John Podolinsky
Small Business Ombudsman
PO Box 200901
1520 East Sixth Avenue
Helena, MT 59620-0901
Phone: 406-444-6592 

Environmental Assistance Toll-free Hotline:

Additional Resources:

Center for Disease Control - Preventing Children's Exposure to Lead

Small Business Environmental Assistance Program