Open Burning Permits

The DEQ operates a year round open burning program as well as issues air quality open burning permits for specific types of open burning.  For a complete description of the open burning regulations, please refer to the ARM Title 17 Section 8 Subchapter 6. The flyer Open Burning and Air Quality discusses issues related to minor open burning.  Open Burning closures and dispersion forecast information is available here.  A map of open burn airsheds is available here.

The following is a list of the types of permits issued by the Air Permitting Program.  A DEQ permit must be obtained for these types of burning before burning begins.  The permits and their instructions are available in both PDF and Microsoft WORD formats.  

Type of Burning Permit
Type Permit
& Instructions



Additional Information
Trade Waste March 1 Through Nov. 30 $100.00 Any solid, liquid or gaseous material resulting from the construction or operation of any business, trade, industry, or demolition project.  These permits may be issued for wood or wood byproduct trade wastes generated by any business, industry trade, or demolition project.
Landfill March 1 Through Nov. 30 Collect from solid waste management system license  
Firefighter Training Entire Year $25.00 All training exercises held by any fire department must have a permit.
Emergency Open Burning Entire Year $100.00 Applicant must contact DEQ for further information before burning.

Note:  Applicant must demonstrate that the substance to be burned poses an immediate threat to the public health and safety, or plant or animal life, and that no immediate alternative for disposal is reasonably available.
Christmas Tree Waste March 1 Through Nov. 30 $100.00 For the disposal of Christmas Tree waste from the producers of Christmas Trees.
Commercial Film Production March 1 Through Nov. 30 $100.00 For open burning conducted during commercial film production.
Major Open Burning Generally March 1 Through Nov. 30 Greater of $350.00 and fee calculated on previous years burning Any source that has the potential to emit 500 tons per calendar year of carbon monoxide or 50 tons per calendar year of any other regulated pollutant.

Note:  DEQ (in cooperation with several other counties), operates a Major Open Burning Smoke Management Program.  Please see the Smoke Management Group website.
Winter Time Open Burning Dec. 1 Through Feb. 28 No Charge Permission for specific burns is approved in cases where burning is considered essential.

Specific counties or impact zones have their own open burning programs and must be contacted directly to receive the proper air quality open burning permit prior to burning.  If burning will take place in one of these counties you must first contact the county before any burning takes place.

County Burning Contacts
County Telephone
Cascade City-County Health Dept. (406) 454-6950
Flathead City-County Health Dept. (406) 751-8144
Lincoln County Health Dept. (406) 283-2443
Missoula City-County Health Dept.
Northern Missoula County Hotline
(406) 258-4755
(406) 258-4900
(406) 677-2899
Yellowstone Air Pollution Control (406) 256-6841