Wetland News & Events:
Feb 13, 2015 Nomination Deadline. May 28, 2015 Award Ceremony
Wetland Program Contacts:
Lynda A. Saul, PWS, CFM
Wetland Program Coordinator
Stephen M. Carpenedo, PWS
Wetland Environmental Science Specialist
Montana's overarching wetland goal is: No overall net loss of the state's remaining wetland resource base (as of 1989) and an overall increase in the quality and quantity of wetlands in Montana. Montana has created strategic 5-year frameworks (2008-2012, 2013-2017) to prioritize and direct collective efforts on wetlands and riparian area conservation and restoration in pursuit of its goal. The Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), the lead state agency for wetland protection, has chosen a collaborative approach involving the Montana Wetland Council, to develop and help implement the state wetland plan.
The Montana Wetland Council is an active network of diverse interest that works cooperatively to conserve and restore Montana's wetlands and riparian ecosystems.
Montana Wetland Stewardship Awards are presented by the Montana Wetlands Council to recognize individuals that contribute to the conservation of wetlands and are awarded once every two years.
- Upcoming Meetings:
- May 28, 2015, Wetland and Watershed Stewardship Award Ceremony, State Capitol, Helena, Montana
Summaries of Wetland Council Meetings:
- October 1, 2014, State Wetland/Riparian Strategy Implementation, Panel Discussion and Q&A (Waters of the US)
- March 26, 2014, Ecology and Management of Forested Wetlands (Meeting in conjunction with 85th Annual Conference of the Northwest Scientific Association)
- January 23, 2014, Landscape Planning: Helping Local Groups Engage and Deliver Conservation and Restoration: Joint Meeting with the Montana Watershed Coordination Council; Helena MT
- November 15, 2012, Targeted Wetland Restoration for Water Quality Improvement, Habitat, Flood Storage, and Overall Watershed Management
- May 30, 2012, Energy Development and Agriculture: Wetland and Riparian Issues Affecting Central and Eastern Montana; Lewiston, MT
- January 19, 2012, Wetland Mitigation and Other Aquatic Ecosystem Exchange and Market Mechanisms
- October 30, 2003, Meeting Summary
- May 8, 2003, Meeting Summary