Emergency Response and Community Right to Know Act: All reporting levels* (302, 311, 312 (Tier I & II))
Thank you for submitting your data electronically.
For questions or requests, contact:
Montana Department of Environmental Quality
PO Box 200901
Helena, MT 59620
Note: Montana does not collect fees for this submittal.
Note: Montana does not accept hard copies.
Note: Montana follows EPA requirements and does not have state-level requirements.
*EPCRA 302: Extremely Hazardous Chemical notifications
EPCRA 311: Requirement to provide MSDS for reportable chemicals
EPCRA 312: Hazardous chemical reporting
|Training Links||File Type|
|E-Plan Online Tier2 Submit - User's Guide||Online Training|
|E-Plan User Training Video||Video Download|
See how E-Plan is used in Montana:
Regulation, Guidance, Training and Other Tier II Resources
- What is the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA)?
- Title III Consolidated List of Lists (pdf)
- EPCRA Factsheets
- EPCRA Resources Outside of EPA
Beginning in late December 2013 Montana will have transitioned Tier II report filing to E-Plan electronic submission. No hard copies or email submittals, please. Your report from 2012 should be in the system. If you filed a hard copy with Montana, it has been entered, also. If not, follow the directions to upload the 2013 report. You may also load the 2012 report and then edit it for 2013. See the directions below. You also have the option to attach contingency plans, maps, photos, etc. in the "additional information" section.
Regarding local filing, the decision to accept online reporting to LEPCs or TERCs and fire departments has been left up to individual jurisdictions.
Montana uses E-Plan for accepting online submission of Tier II chemical inventory information.
Facilities must submit their Tier II Report by logging into E-Plan's Online Tier II Reporting System web site at https://tier2.erplan.net.(Click on icon to open E-Plan web site)
- Getting Started: Please use the Contact Us button on any E-Plan website page to request for your login account (Access ID and password). In your request, please provide your facility name and address.
Note: If you did not file a report in the filing year 2012, you will have to go to E-Plan's Online Tier II Reporting System Web Site at http://tier2.erplan.net and click on Create an Account. After you register, you will be assigned a 7-digit Access ID number.
- Creating and Editing Report: You must Sign In the system in order to create and submit your data. After you sign in, you will be taken to the "E-Plan Online Filing Submission Management" page where you will need to either Enter new Data for your facility, Copy Data from previous year, or Import your data if it was created by EPA's Tier2 Submit program (extensions .zip or .t2s).
- Entering New Facility Data: Under the "ENTER NEW DATA/RETRIEVE OLD DATA" section, choose 2013 for the filing year and press "Continue". Enter in your Facility Information. Press the "Save & Continue" button and then enter in your Facility Identification (NAICS required). Return to the 2013 Online Filing Home page by clicking the "Filing Management" link in the upper left-hand corner. From there, you will see the icon to Add New Chemical. Follow the prompts. When complete, return to the 2013 Online Filing Home page again, and press the icon to Add New Contact information.
- Importing Last Year's .zip or .t2s File:Under the "IMPORT TIER2" section, press the "Import 'zip/t2s'" button. Locate your tier2 zip or t2s file, and press the Upload button. Once the file is successfully imported, press "Continue". You will be automatically taken back to the E-Plan Online Filing Submission Management page. If the imported Tier2 data files are for year 2012, you must convert the facility data from year 2012 to 2013 using the COPY DATA function.
- Copying Data: Under the "COPY DATA" section, copy the data from 2012 to 2013 in the drop-down menu. Once this step is complete, you should see the years 2012 and 2013 listed under currently filed years in the left section. Select to retrieve Tier II data for 2013 in the drop down menu and press "Continue". You will be taken to the 2013 Online Filing Home page where you can edit your information if needed.
- Validating and uploading data into E-Plan: From the 2013 Online Filing Home page, press the Validate Record button at the bottom of the page. If any errors are found, they will be listed here, or it will indicate that the facility report passed all submission tests. Once the “Submission Report” indicates all required fields are correct, the “Upload Data to E-Plan” option will appear. Press the Upload Data to E-Plan button, select your facility, and press the Update button. The status should change from Not Filed to Filed when the report has been properly submitted. A confirmation message will be sent to the account’s email listed during the registration process, with a copy of your report attached in .pdf format. Print and save these documents as proof of submission.
A facility's Tier II Report submittal will be deemed complete when the Montana Department of Environmental Quality can view its electronic submittal on E-Plan.
For E-Plan questions or requests, please use the Contact Us button on any E-Plan website page.
The choice of filing electronically or using a paper format only applies to state filings. You will need to contact the appropriate Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC - there is one in each of Montana’s 56 counties) and fire department to see if they can accept electronic filings. If they can not accept electronic filings, a paper copy will need to be sent to the LEPC and fire department.
Local Emergency Planning Committees/Tribal Emergency Planning Committees/First Responders:
After your LEPC has determined who should have access, please go to erplan.net and set up an account as a first responder. A request will be forwarded to DEQ for approval. Turnaround is usually a day or less. You will then receive notification from E-Plan about your login credentials. You may then access the Tier II reports.
Montana LEPCs/TERCs Contacts List (pdf) (Revised January, 2013, and periodically)
Web Site Feedback Wanted: This web site will be updated frequently to make it more useful and complete.
If you have suggestions contact Lisa Peterson by e-mail or by telephone (406) 444-2929.