Libby Asbestos Superfund Advisory Team to meet Dec. 18
HELENA – The Libby Asbestos Superfund Advisory Team, which first convened in September, will hold its second meeting Monday, Dec. 18, from 2-4 p.m. at the Montana Department of Environmental Quality in Helena. The team was established by the 2017 Legislature under Senate Bill 315 to enhance communication among stakeholders of the Libby Asbestos Superfund Cleanup. In addition, the Advisory Team will advise Montana DEQ on administration of the Libby Asbestos Cleanup Trust Fund and operation and maintenance accounts. As cleanup nears its end in many of the Operable Units of the Libby Asbestos Site, Montana DEQ and EPA will work with the Advisory Team to establish institutional controls and define operations and maintenance activities appropriate to protect the cleanup in Libby.
Advisory Team members include:
- Director of the Department of Environmental Quality or a designated representative
- Lincoln County Commissioner designated by the Commission
- Citizen of Lincoln County nominated by the Lincoln County Commission and selected by the Governor
- One member of the Montana House of Representatives whose district includes at least a portion of Lincoln County appointed by the Speaker of the House
- One member of the Montana Senate whose district includes at least a portion of Lincoln County appointed by the Senate President
Senate Bill 315 also establishes one full-time DEQ employee as the Libby Asbestos Superfund Liaison to perform duties recommended by the Advisory Team and facilitate the Advisory Team’s quarterly meetings. The Libby Asbestos Superfund Liaison will be chosen by the governor from three candidates provided by the county commissioners.
What: Libby Asbestos Superfund Advisory Team Meeting
When: Monday, Dec. 18, 2-4 p.m.
Where: Montana Department of Environmental Quality, Metcalf Room 111, 1520 E. 6th Avenue, Helena
By Phone: 833-821-3112 (toll-free). Conference number: #883438
By Skype: https://rtchelena.mt.gov/meet/jchambers/Zn75k3s5
For more information or to set up an interview for this story, please contact: Karen Ogden, 406-444-6360 or email@example.com or visit: http://deq.mt.gov/DEQAdmin/dir/libby/SATeam