DEQ Invites Comments on General Construction Storm Water Permit
Helena – The Montana Department of Environmental Quality is seeking public comment on the renewal of its General Permit for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Construction Activity.
A public hearing will be held May 31, 2017, at 1 p.m. at the Lee Metcalf Building, 1520 E. 6th Ave., in Helena and the public will have the opportunity to submit comments.
The renewal of the permit will continue to provide statewide general permit coverage for owners and operators of construction activities that discharge storm water to state surface waters.
“Effective storm water runoff management is crucial to the protection of wetlands and aquatic ecosystems,” said DEQ Water Protection Bureau Chief Jon Kenning. “By working together, we can improve the quality of receiving waterbodies, conserve water resources, protect public health and provide for flood control.”
DEQ held five stakeholder meetings to solicit feedback on the current permit and industry needs, ensure protection of water quality and to meet regulatory requirements.
Significant proposed changes include:
- Requirements for consultation with the Montana Sage Grouse Habitat Conservation Program,
- Requirements for public signage or other form of notice for covered activities,
- Requirements to consult and incorporate local requirements,
- Requirements for storm water discharges to impaired waterbodies,
- Requirements for a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan,
- Provisions for severe winter conditions delay,
- Clarified prohibited discharges,
- Reduction in the amount of required records,
- Provisions to revise and update a SWPP Plan, and
- A better streamlined SWPPP form and Self Inspection Report Form.
Public comments will be accepted until 5 p.m., June 2, 2017, and may be mailed to DEQ Water Protection Bureau, P.O. Box 200901, Helena, MT, 59620, or submitted electronically to: DEQWPBPublicComments@mt.gov
Permit information is available on the DEQ web site at: http://deq.mt.gov/Water/WPB/mpdes/stormwaterconstruction The complete administrative record, including permit application and other pertinent information, is maintained at the Water Protection Bureau office in Helena and is available for review during business hours.
For more information, please call 406-444-3080 or email: DEQWPBPublicComments@mt.gov
DEQ will make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities who wish to participate in the hearing. If you require an accommodation, please call 406-444-3080 no later than May 22, 2017.