Initial environmental assessment information can be found via the NRIS Digital Atlas interactive mapper and Online Query Service for sites overseen by the Montana Department of Environmental Quality’s
- Waste Management & Remediation Division
- Permitting and Compliance Division (Waste and Underground Tank Management Bureau)
- Petroleum Tank Release Compensation Board (PTRCB)
Data layers for these sites are available for query, display, and reporting purposes include:
- Underground Storage Tank sites
- Abandoned/Inactive Mine sites
- State and Federal Superfund sites including:
- Other Remediation response sites including:
- Groundwater Remediation/Water Quality Act (WQA)
- Brownfields sites
- Petroleum Tank Release Compensation Board site
Instructions for use of the query tools are available at the following location. Should a person find sites in or near their area of interest, DEQ can then be contacted for more specific site information or the interested party can visit our office location to view hard copy files.
Please remember that not all sites addressed by the Department have spatial coordinates that allow them to be plotted on a map and that there are sites with coordinates that were derived by methods that may not achieve the level of accuracy desired. In addition, there may be sites, unknown to the Department that could also impact your project. Always conduct a thorough on-site inspection and contact this Department if you find evidence of a site not in our records or identify inaccuracies in our data.
A description of Waste Management & Remediation Division hard copy and electronic records available for review can be found at: http://deq.mt.gov/rem/InformationSystems.mcpx. Other Divisions within the Montana DEQ maintain separate hard copy files and electronic information systems. For other DEQ program information/records, you will need to contact other DEQ divisions, such as the Enforcement Division at (406) 444-0379, or visit the DEQ’s website.