Where to Recycle | Recyclables | Publications| FAQs| Sustainable Government
Did you know that the average adult receives about 41 pounds of junk mail each year? And roughly half of it is never opened?
- Junk mail wastes natural resources. One hundred million trees and 28 billion gallons of water are used annually in the production of junk mail.
- Junk mail wastes money. $320 million of local taxes are spent yearly for disposal of unsolicited mail.
- Junk mail wastes time. The average adult wastes about 70 hours a year on junk mail.
- Learn more at the Center for A New American Dream.
Protect your name. Think twice before entering a contest, joining a store's club card program, or sending in a warranty card. Your name could go on a mailing list that gets sold or rented to national companies which send junk mail.
Reduce the amount of junk mail you receive. While it may be impossible to completely eliminate junk mail, these simple steps will significantly reduce the amount of junk mail reaching your door:
- The Direct Marketing Association (DMA) maintains the largest mailing list in the country. Businesses and other organizations subscribe to the DMA to gain access to that large mailing list.
- DMA requires a one dollar ($1) processing fee to remove your name and address from their lists. It is worth the trouble - this effort will eliminate the largest portion of your junk mail. (It is free online, but you will have to enter your credit card number.)
Direct Marketing Association
Mail Preference Service
P.O. Box 643
Carmel, NY 10512
- DMA will then remove your name from its list and it will stay in the "delete" file for three years. It may take up to three months or more for your request to take effect.
- If you still wish to receive certain catalogs, notify those catalogs directly, or sign up for www.catalogchoice.org and choose which catalogs you wish to receive, and which ones you wish to stop.
- Reduce unwanted mail from companies getting information from warranty cards by writing:
National Demographics and Lifestyles
Customer Service Department
1621 18th Street, #300
Denver, CO 80202
- If you register for prizes, sweepstakes, or giveaways, check the “opt out” box so your name will not be included on any lists. Request, in writing, that your name be removed from mailing lists at this major sweepstakes mailer:
Publisher's Clearinghouse Reader's Digest
101 Channel Drive Reader's Digest Road
Port Washington, NY 10050
Writing to these additional addresses will remove you from even more mailing lists:
- ADVO Incorporated
Mktg Sys., Inc.
Consumer Assistance Dept.
P.O. Box 249
Windsor, CT 06095
- Info, Consumer Requests
1020 E. First St.
Papillion, NE 68046
- Val Pak Direct
Largo, Florida 33773
Unsolicited Telemarketing Calls. The Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007 established that registered phone numbers will remain on the Do-Not-Call list permanently. You can register your phone number(s) online at www.donotcall.gov. You can also call toll-free at 1-888-382-1222 (TTY 1-866-290-4236); from the telephone number you wish to register. Registration is free, and will stop most, but not all, telemarketing calls.