The goal of the Montana Underground Storage Tank (UST) Leak Prevention Program is to protect human health and the environment by preventing releases of petroleum and hazardous substances from UST systems. The release of these regulated products into the environment threatens groundwater resources and can cause explosive vapors to seep into confined spaces and occupied dwellings.
The objectives of the UST Leak Prevention Program are to ensure that:
- UST systems are properly constructed and designed using recognized industry standards;
- Installations, repairs and removals are conducted and inspected by qualified, trained and licensed individuals;
- Active USTs are properly operated and monitored for releases;
- Upon closure, USTs are properly decommissioned and sites assessed for contamination.
Do Not Fill Report:
- State rule requires owner(s) of underground storage tank facilities keep DEQ's Underground Storage Tank Program informed of any changes of information relative to their facility (e.g., facility name, owner(s), tanks, financial responsibility) within 30 days of the change. Forms for this purpose are located at http://deq.mt.gov/Land/ust/forms.
Requesting Public Records and Information - to request information regarding an underground storage tank facility, please click here, scroll to bottom of page and click Request Public Records to fill out the request.
- UST Monthly and Annual Walkthrough Inspection Form - Final. Starting in October 2021, owner or operators will be required to do monthly and annual walkthrough inspections of their underground storage tank systems to make sure your equipment is working properly and catch problems early. The form showing you what you will be required to inspect is now available. The form is now finalized, so you can start doing your inspections. This inspection is required by the EPA rule revision of 2015.
- Proposed changes to the Underground Storage Tank rules.
- 2015 Federal Revised Underground Storage Tank Regulations - do not go into immediate effect in Montana, except for those located in Indian Country and administered by EPA. See more information on Implementation here.
- EPA publishes new publication on corrosion study of steel and steel components of USTs storing diesel fuel. For UST owners and operators who store diesel fuel, the Montana DEQ Underground Storage Tank Program highly recommends reading the EPA notice using the link below.