State Superfund Mission
To protect the public health and welfare of all Montana citizens and the state's environment from releases of hazardous or deleterious substances.
State Superfund Unit's Focus
- Facilitating the investigation and cleanup of hazardous substances that typically occur at sites with the following activities:
- Petroleum Refining
- Railroad Fueling and Maintenance
- Wood Treating
State Superfund Unit's Purpose
- Protect human health and the environment
- Prevent exposure of human and ecological receptors to hazardous or deleterious substances released to:
- Sediment [or]
- Surface water
- Ensure compliance with applicable state and federal regulations
These release sites are ranked based on potential risks to public health and the environment. Site investigation and cleanup activities focus primarily on sites which have a maximum or high priority rank.