Requesting Public Records and Information
The Montana DEQ regulates solid waste facilities in Montana, including community recycling activities. This includes municipal landfills, construction and demolition waste landfills, septic tank land application sites, motor vehicle recycling and recycling activities. These functions are achieved by technical reviews, licensing, certifications, compliance monitoring, training and technical assistance. Our goal is to assure that the environment is adequately protected from the hazards of waste disposal, and increasing recycling rates in Montana.
We provide the following services:
- Technical review and licensing of solid waste treatment and disposal facility design and operational plans;
- Conduct inspections of solid waste management facilities and provide technical assistance to maintain compliance;
- License septic tank pumpers and inspect disposal sites for septic tank and sump wastes;
- Provide training for owners and operators of solid waste disposal facilities;
- Technical review and licensing of motor vehicle recycling and disposal facilities.
- Reduce the volume and toxicity of solid wastes through source reduction, recycling, and composting.
NEW: DEQ adopted a new subchapter codifying New Rules I through X for technologically enhanced naturally occurring radioactive material (TENORM) waste and responded to public comments. To see the rule notice and response to public comments go to DEQ's Rule Notice webpage at: https://deq.mt.gov/DEQAdmin/dir/legal/adoption or contact DEQ's Solid Waste Program at (406) 444-5300.