aka Gird Creek
The town of Maxville, originally known as Flint, was renamed in honor of its first postmaster R. R. MacLeod. Later, for some reason, the c in the name was changed to an x and, the town went from "Macsville" to "Maxville" (Wolle 1963). No placers were noted by Lyden (1948) to be in the vicinity of Maxville. The mining district includes land on both sides of Flint Creek between Drummond and Philipsburg between the south slopes of the Flint Creek range and the north slopes of the John Long Mountains. The district is said to have produced $75,000 in metals, mostly from the Durand mine.
The district is composed of quartzite, limestone and shales of Beltian and Cambrian ages. These beds have been tilted, fissured and faulted; silver, gold and copper veins have cut through the beds. Copper deposits southwest of Maxville occur in ill-defined ferruginous quartz veins in limestone. Northwest of Maxville the veins are lower in copper content but are better defined. In Wyman Gulch, extensive low grade carbonate copper ores occur in joint planes and between sand grains in sandstones. On Gird Creek copper oxide coats organic remains in sandstone of the Ellis formation (Emmons and Calkins 1913; Sahinen 1935).
BOUNDARIES OF THE DISTRICT
Sahinen (1935) places the district nine miles north of Philipsburg near the junction of Flint and Boulder Creeks. Figure 1 shows the district as defined by AMRB (1994) with a smaller area after Sahinen (1935) which includes the primary mining area.
HISTORIES OF SELECTED MINES
The Barnes mine, located on Gird Creek about 4.5 miles above its junction with Flint Creek, worked a copper deposit in calcareous sandstone of the Ellis formation. The mine consists of a 120 foot tunnel and a shaft driven in 1907 (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935; Gilbert 1935).
The Delaware mine is located .75 mile south of the Barnes mine, but 1000 feet higher. The mine worked a lead-silver deposit in a shear zone in quartzite of the Quadrant formation. Fourteen tons of iron oxide and lead carbonate ore has been shipped from the mine with a return of 28 ounces of silver per ton and 22 percent lead. The mine consists of a 100 foot shaft and 200 feet of workings on an adit (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935; Gilbert 1935).
When described in 1913, the Durand mine was located immediately northwest of the Flint Station on the Philipsburg spur line. The mine was worked intermittently since 1892 and produced $40,000 in ore. The two veins worked by the mine's six tunnels are in Flathead quartzites. The longest tunnel was 200 feet long; its ores consisted tunnel at the level of Flint Creek intersects the vein at 125 feet and follows it for 50 feet, but its ores were not considered worth working (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935; Gilbert 1935).
The Eagle mine abuts the Johnson claim on the southwest and worked a copper deposit in limestone. The mine was developed by several short tunnels and shallow pits. Small bodies of copper carbonate and copper bearing quartz were exposed. The mine has shipped 50 tons of 5 percent ore to the smelter. The mine reported production in 1913 and from 1918 to 1920 (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935; Gilbert 1935; WPA 1941).
The Heilman shaft is three quarters of a mile south southwest of the Durand mine and tapped a copper, silver and gold vein in limestone. The ore consists of quartz, calcite, limonite, cuprite, malachite, azurite, and native copper. The mine has a 100 foot winze (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935; Gilbert 1935).
The Hoffman mine recorded production intermittently from 1922 to 1940 (WPA 1941).
Located a short distance northwest of the Londonderry mine, the Homer mine worked a gold-silver vein in sediments. A tunnel driven to the northwest encountered a lode at 210 feet. Ores consisted of iron stained quartz which was said to carry 13 ounces of silver and $5 in gold per ton. The lode is displaced by a fault (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935; Gilbert 1935).
The Johnson claim abuts the Mother Vein on the south and worked a vein in quartzite. Ore is iron-stained quartz with low values in copper and gold (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935).
The Last Chance mine is located about half a mile northwest of the Eagle. The mine worked a quartz gold vein in limestone of the Newland formation. The vein carries copper oxide and carbonate, pyrite and chalcopyrite, but the values are small. An incline 115 feet long follows the vein and 150 feet west a second incline also was driven on a similar vein (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935).
Located about one half mile north of the Durand mine, the Londonderry worked a vein in the Spokane formation about 400 feet above Flint Creek. The mine has been worked by a number of short tunnels and open cuts. Five cars of ore were shipped that yielded an average of 50 ounces silver and $6.50 gold per ton. The mine recorded production in 1913, 1917, 1922, 1923, 1925 and 1926 (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935; Gilbert 1935; WPA 1941).
In 1934 the Maxville Gold and Silver company held 10 unpatented claims in the Maxville district. The property was developed by a 300 foot shaft connected to 3,000 feet of drifts. The gold ore extracted was treated in a 100 ton flotation mill. Although the mine showed significant development, only two men were employed (Gilbert 1935).
The Mother Vein is located half a mile west of the Homer claim and worked a gold and copper deposit in fractured quartzite. A tunnel driven to the southeast encountered quartzite ore at 80 feet. The rock contained some gold and silver values for 20 feet (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Sahinen 1935; Gilbert 1935).
The North Star mine is on the west slope of Wyman Gulch near its junction with South Boulder Creek and is about 3.5 miles from Maxville. The mine was developed via an 80 foot shaft and a connecting 200 foot adit. Two carloads returning 6 percent copper were shipped from the mine. The low grade copper was thought to be useful for its siliceous character as a liner of copper converters (Emmons and Calkin 1913; Gilbert 1935).
Abandoned Mine Reclamation Bureau (AMRB)
1994 Mining districts of Montana. Maps 1:100,000 and Map #94-NRIS-129. Compiled and edited by Joel Chavez. Prepared by Montana State Library Natural Resource Information System (NRIS) for Montana Department of State Lands. Helena
Emmons, William Harvey and Frank C. Calkins
1913 "Geology and Ore Deposits of the Philipsburg Quadrangle, Montana",
U. S. Geological Survey, Professional Paper 78.
1990 "Cultural Resource Inventory: Montana Department of Highways [F 19-2(11)48] - Maxville Drummond Project on Alternate Route 10-A Granite County Montana", for Stahly Engineering.
Gilbert, Frederick C.
1935 "Directory of Montana Mining Properties",
Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology Memoir No. 15
. Montana School of Mines, Butte.
Lyden, Charles J.
1948 "The Gold Placers of Montana",
Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology Memoir 26
. Montana School of Mines, Butte.
Pardee, Joseph Thomas
1917 "The Garrison and Philipsburg Phosphate Fields, Montana",
U. S. Geological Survey,
Bull. 640, pp. 195-228.
1921 "Phosphate Rock Near Maxville, Granite County, Montana", U. S. Geological Survey, Bull. 715-J, pp. 141-145; (abst.) Washington Acad. Sci. Journal, Vol. 11, No. 16, pp. 393-394.
1936 "Phosphate Rocks near Maxville, Philipsburg, and Avon, Montana," U. S. Geologic Survey, Bulletin 847-D, pp. 175-188.
Sahinen, Uuno M.
1935 "Mining Districts of Montana", Thesis, Montana School of Mines, Butte.
Swindlehurst, J. W.
Montana Department of Labor and Industry, 1st Biennial Report.
Wolle, Muriel Sibell
Montana Pay Dirt.
Sage Books, Athens, Ohio
Works Projects Administration (WPA) Mineral Resources Survey
Montana Mine Index: An Alphabetical Index Arranged by Counties, Districts and Mines of Information on Montana Mines from 1867-1940
. Montana School of Mines, Butte.