Located on Bloody Dick Creek 28 miles west of the Clark Canyon Dam at the west and upper end of the Horse Prairie valley, the lodes of the Monument district were probably discovered in the late 1870s. Joseph C. Keppler sold the Monument mine to William T.Iddings on August 20, 1880 for $1,000. However, the district has seen very little production. The mines in the district were most active from 1907 to 1909 and 1914 through 1918 with limited production in 1912, 1920 and 1928. In these years a total of only 493 tons of ore were shipped from the district. This ore yielded 114 ounces of gold, 10,181 ounces of silver, 98,982 pounds of copper and 49,862 pounds of lead with a total value of $37,798 (Sassman 1941; Geach 1972).
The lode deposits of the district are in metamorphic rocks, gneiss and schist that crop out over an area of about four miles. The northern and western edges of the outcrop contact white micacious quartz sandstone of Belt age. The southern and eastern edges contact Tertiary volcanic rock (Geach 1972).
BOUNDARIES OF THE DISTRICTS
Geach (1972) clearly defines the Monument district as Sections 31, 32 and 33 T9S, R14W and Sections 3, 4 and 5 in T10S, R14 W (Figure 1). This includes the Monument property, along with the Baltic, Royal, Starlight and Sunshine mines.
HISTORIES OF SELECTED MINES
The Baltic property is a patented claim in Sections 4 and 5 in T10S, R14 W. The property is composed of seven claims and abuts the Monument mine on the northeast. The mine's development, a surface cut, has exposed a 2 foot wide quartz vein. In 1917 and 1918 the mine produced 60 tons of ore which yielded 2 ounces of gold, 117 ounces of silver and 3,504 pounds of copper (Geach 1972).
The Jung Frau is located in Section 32 T9S, R14W. The mine has been developed through a surface cut and two adits. The eastern adit was extended to 35 feet and exposed a barite vein. The second adit is 200 feet northwest of the first. Although it was caved when examined, the dump also showed barite. Although there is no production recorded for the mine, it is likely that its ore was mixed in with the ore of the nearby mines (Geach 1972).
The Monument mine is located five miles north of Brenner on the north side of Bloody Dick Creek at the mouth of the canyon. The mining property is composed of 7 claims in Sections 4 and 5 in T10S, R14 W. Because of its isolation it has been labeled variously as part of the Beaverhead District (Geach 1972), Bloody Dick Creek district (Sahinen 1935), Horse Prairie district (AMRB 1994) and as a sub-district of its own (Geach 1972). The mine was developed on a iron and copper- stained quartzite outcrop in the early 1900s. In 1902 Eugene Keppler was working a force of men to extend the drift from the bottom of a 60 foot shaft. Ultimately, mine development was limited to a 350 foot shaft and an adit driven to tap the shaft at depth. In 1908 two tons of ore were shipped with returned 415 pounds of copper and 8 ounces of silver. The mine closed in 1909 but reopened in 1917 when 43 tons were shipped from the mine. The ore returned 3,208 pounds of copper and 76 ounces of silver. The mine has been inactive since 1917 and the shaft has funnelled while the adit collapsed at the portal (Geach 1972; Sassman 1941; Sahinen 1935; Winchell 1914).
The Monument Copper mine was listed in the Mineral Record Index in 1908, 1909 and 1917 (WPA 1941).
The Royal mine is located in Section 5 in T10S, R14 W to the south of the Monument mine. Although there is no recorded production, the mine was developed through a 330 foot long adit. Like other smaller mines in the district, the ore from the Royal may have been mixed with that of other mines (Geach 1972).
The Starlight mine is located in Section 5 in T10S, R14 W to the south of the Monument mine and immediately north of the Royal mine. The mine was developed through three old adits and several surface cuts. When examined, the only open adit extended 120 feet with a 20 foot crosscut. The mine showed evidence of manganese oxides as well as galena and cerussite. No production is recorded for the mine, but ore may have been mixed with that of other nearby mines (Geach 1972).
The Sunshine Mine in Section 5 T10S, R14 W and Section 32 in T9S, R14 W is west of the Monument mine. The ore lens worked by the mine was developed through a 50 foot shaft and a connecting adit. The only recorded production was in 1914 and 1915 when 29 tons were shipped. The ore yielded 1 ounce of gold, 528 ounces of silver, 2,289 pounds of copper, and 1,480 pounds of lead.
Abandoned Mine Reclamation Bureau (AMRB)
1994 Mining districts of Montana, Maps 1:100,000 and Map #94-NRIS-129. Compiled and edited by Joel Chavez. Prepared by Montana State Library Natural Resource Information System (NRIS) for Montana Department of State Lands. Helena.
Cope, George F.
1936 "Statistical and Descriptive Report Upon the Mines of Madison County Montana", (Compiled by George F. Cope, Sept. 1888),
Montana School of Mines
Geach, R. D.
1972 "Mines and Mineral Deposits (except fuels) Beaverhead County, Montana",
Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology, Bulletin 85
Sahinen, Uuno M.
1935 "Mining Districts of Montana", Thesis, Montana School of Mines, Butte.
1941 "Metal Mining in Historic Beaverhead County (1862-1940)", Thesis Montana State University.
Winchell, Alexander Newton
1911 "A Theory for the Origin of Graphite as Exemplified in the Graphite Deposit near Dillon, Montana",
, Vol. 6, pp 218-230.
1914 "Mining Districts of the Dillon Quadrangle, Montana and Adjacent Areas", U. S. Geological Survey, Bulletin 574.
Work Projects Administration (WPA) Mineral Resources Survey
Montana Mine Index
, An Alphabetical Index Arranged by Counties, Districts and Mines of Information on Montana Mines from 1867-1940. Montana School of Mines, Butte.