(40 CFR 273 incorporated by ARM 17.53.1301)
UNIVERSAL WASTE LAMPS
(40 CFR 273.13 and ARM 17.53.1303)
- Must contain lamps in containers or packages that are structurally sound, adequate
to prevent breakage, and compatible with the contents of the
- Must immediately clean up, and place in a container, any lamp that is
- Must place, in a container, any lamp that shows evidence of breakage,
leakage, or damage that could cause the release of mercury or other
hazardous constituents to the environment.
- Must place lamps in a closed
container that is structurally sound, compatible with the contents
of the lamps and must lack evidence of leakage, spillage or damage that
could cause leakage or releases of mercury or other hazardous
constituents to the environment.
Spent lamp crushing unit.
- May treat waste lamps on-site by crushing
or intentionally breaking by:
- Crushing or breaking the lamp in the final accumulation container.
- Following the written operation and maintenance procedures
developed by the manufacturer.
- Tracking all operations and maintenance activities in
logbook or equivalent document.
- Having the manufacturer’s written procedures and tracking
documents available for inspection at all times.
- Complying with the mercury exposure limits set by OSHA in
29 CFR 1910.1000.
- Complying with requirements found in 40 CFR 273.13(d) and
273.33(d) for the proper management of universal waste lamps.