House Bill 216 (HB216) passed the Legislature and was signed by the Governor in May 2017. The bill requires owners of wind generation facilities 25 megawatts and greater to submit decommissioning plans and bonds to the Department of Environmental Quality and requires DEQ to adopt rules prescribing:
- The standards and procedures for the submission of reasonable bonds with good and sufficient surety by the owners of wind generation facilities
- The collection of penalties;
- Criteria and the process for releasing the bond;
- DEQ's use of a bond in the event that the owner of a wind generation facility fails to decommission a wind generation facility;
- Information required by DEQ to determine bond requirements, and;
- Any additional requirements to ensure compliance with the bill
You can view the unofficial final wind bonding rules here. The official final rules will be posted and published in the Montana Administrative Register in March or April 2018. To view DEQ's press release about finalizing the bonding rules click here.