Goals & Objectives
The Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Director's Office carries out the department's mission and statutory responsibilities by administering, managing, planning and evaluating total agency performance.
The director oversees the development of appropriate policies and procedures throughout all organizational units of the agency and makes sure the structure supports optimum efficiency, consistency and capability for planning, consultation and decision making.
The Director's Office includes the director's staff, a centralized Legal Services Unit and a centralized Personnel Office. The Centralized Services Division is an extension of the director's responsibility and ability to provide budgeting, accounting, procurement, contract management and information services support to the agency divisions.
DEQ Director’s Office Goals & Objectives for 2015 Biennium
- Increase the efficiency of internal and external Department processes to enhance quality, timeliness, and/or volume of work produced.
- Implement improvements to selected major business processes and several additional minor processes and procedures within the Department.
- Develop and implement new web-based applications to facilitate public interaction and customer service.
- Conduct quality management training for DEQ managers.
- Create a performance management system to provide staff with consistent feedback and to align individual and agency goals.
- Improve relations with Department customers, including the general public and the regulated community.
- Improve the tone of Department correspondence to ensure documents are clear and direct, but not unnecessarily insulting or demanding.
- Publicly recognize good customer service among DEQ employees.
- Continue active stakeholder groups in key programs.
- Ensure stakeholder involvement in all major rulemaking efforts.
- Enhance recruitment and retention of Department staff.
- Provide training for DEQ managers in supervision and leadership, project and program management, and meeting management and facilitation.
- Continue to develop and implement non-monetary work environment enhancements such as flexible work schedules, telework opportunities, and employee recognition.
- Conduct one all-Department meeting per year.
- Conduct two all-Bureau Chief and/or Section Supervisor meetings per year.
- Expand content that increase frequency of internal training and development programs.
- Improve overall efficiency and effectiveness of recruitment and selection process.
- Develop a succession plan to retain knowledge of veteran employees that will be retiring.
- Implement an EEO plan that enhances the diversity of our work force.
- Implement measures to help female employees obtain the necessary skills and experience to progress in management.