The Small Business Environmental Assistance Program (SBEAP) is a separate non-regulatory program within the Department of Environmental Quality. The mission of the SBEAP is to assist Montana businesses in understanding and complying with environmental regulations and to go beyond the regulations to prevent pollution and improve environmental quality.* In addition, SBEAP also:
- Advocates on behalf of small businesses
- Assists with communication between your small business and DEQ
- Offers permitting assistance
- Provides workshops and trainings
- Mails out informational and informative printings upon request
Assistance from the SBEAP is free, and imposes no obligation on Montana businesses.
*Business-specific information is held confidential from enforcement except in cases of imminent danger to human health and the environment. Small businesses are generally defined as independently owned and operated businesses with fewer than 100 employees that are not major sources of waste or emissions.
For more information or assistance, please contact John Podolinsky at 406-444-6592 or on the SBEAP toll-free hotline at: 800-433-8773
Small Business Compliance Assistance Council
The Council’s duties are defined in 75-2-106 MCA. The necessity for the state to have a Small Business Assistance Advisory Council is required by the Federal Clean Air Act, 42 USC 7661f. The Council’s overall responsibilities are to provide input to DEQ regarding the needs of small businesses with respect to environmental regulatory compliance. Council members:
- Review and render advisory opinions on DEQ’s Small Business Environmental Assistance Program
- Ensure information affecting small businesses is written in a style that is clear and understandable
- Serve as an information bridge between the small business community and DEQ
Annual meeting notes for the Small Business Compliance Assistance Council: