During the fall season, burning is regulated by county in the western burn zone. Each day, county restrictions are posted on this website (burnclosures.mt.gov) and on the ventilation hotline 800-225-6779.
To determine if you can burn:
- Obtain a permit from your local county fire control authority (many counties can be found here).
- Determine if you are in the western or eastern burn zone.
- If you are in the western burn zone:
- Check this website or call the Ventilation Hotline at 800-225-6779 for any air quality restrictions the day of the burn.
- If there are no restrictions for either fire danger or air quality be aware of local conditions and burn smart.
- If you are in the eastern burn zone, Be aware of local conditions and burn smart.
Please call 406-444-3490 if you have any questions.